You have been involved in an accident:
All accidents involving property damage or injuries must be reported to the police immediately. The Burr Ridge police officer investigating this accident will provide you with the information you need. Check to make sure the information is correct.
The Motorist Report Form contains the following information:
- Accident Report Number
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers and insurance policies of all drivers involved.
What should you do now?
Contact your insurance agent as soon as possible - there may be a time period restriction for you to make your claim.
If damage to any vehicle in the accident exceeds $1500.00 (estimated) or there is an injury, each driver is required by State Law to complete the Motorist Report form and mail within 10 days to:
I.D.O.T. Accident Records Section.
3215 Executive Park Drive
Springfield, IL. 62766-0001
Information about your accident report:
There may be blank boxes on your report form because these are for internal use or do not apply to your accident. Police officers are not required to complete narratives or diagrams on all accident reports.
What about tickets issued by the police officer?
If the other driver receives a traffic ticket, then you do not have to appear in court unless notified by the Burr Ridge Police Department. If you receive a traffic ticket, then two copies of the ticket will be issued to you:
- Violator's Copy (red copy). This is your copy to keep as a receipt; it explains the violation and serves as a record for your bond.
- Court Communication Copy (blue copy). Using the back of this copy of the ticket, you must select a not guilty or guilty plea and mail it back to the court.
You then have three options:
- Plead Guilty - Send the required fine to the court via mail.
- Plead Not Guilty - Request a trial date using the court communication copy
- Traffic School/Court Supervision - Complete traffic school requirements
Where do you get copies of the accident report?
The Burr Ridge Police Department has partnered with LexisNexis to provide quick, secure, online access to copies of your accident report.
As an involved party in an accident, ordering a copy of the report is easy with LexisNexis® Police Reports. Eliminate the need to drive to the police department, find parking and stand in line to request a copy of your accident report. Save time and order from a secure website. You can quickly access and download a copy of the report without leaving your home or office.
To order a copy of your report, follow this link: